Chocolate and Your Pet: A Dangerous Combination

You probably already know that chocolate is bad for pets. In fact, it’s one of the most dangerous pet toxins out there! Chocolate of all kinds contains theobromine and caffeine, which can harm our companions even in small amounts. Learn more below from a Crown Point, IN vet.

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning—which may take hours or even days to appear—include lethargy, drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, and collapse, coma, and death without treatment.

Treatment

Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed to get rid of the toxin, and activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach. Pets recovering from chocolate poisoning might need fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other measures to return to full health.

Prevention Tips

Of course, preventing chocolate poisoning in the first place is a far better option than treating it. Do so by placing any and all chocolates inside closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator where pets can’t reach.

To learn more about chocolate and other household pet toxins, contact your vet clinic Crown Point, IN today for help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *