Chocolate Toxicity and Your Pet

Chocolate toxicity and pets don’t mix. It can harm dogs and cats alike, although dogs are more commonly diagnosed with chocolate poisoning (probably because of their tendency to gobble up whatever human food they find!). Learn more about chocolate poisoning below from your vet Newmarket, ON.

Why is Chocolate Toxicity?

Chocolate of all types—milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, white chocolate, etc.—contains theobromine and caffeine, two stimulant chemicals that aren’t good for animals. Foods that contain chocolate, like cookies or pies, are also very dangerous.

What are the Symptoms of Poisoning?

The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment is administered fast—seizures, coma, and even death. Symptoms sometimes appear quickly after ingestion, but can sometimes develop days after your pet eats the chocolate.

What Do I Do If My Pet Eats Chocolate?

If you know or suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate or food that’s made with chocolate, rush them to your nearest veterinary emergency room. The stomach may need to be flushed, and your pet will be given fluids and closely monitored while they’re recovering. The sooner treatment is given, the better!

Contact your veterinary clinic Newmarket, ON for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *