Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs and Cats

You’ve probably heard that chocolate is not safe for dogs and cats. In fact, it’s one of the most common and dangerous pet toxins out there! Below, your veterinarian Tampa, FL tells you more about chocolate toxicity in dogs and cats.

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning typically start to manifest themselves within six to 12 hours after ingestion by a pet. Symptoms include drooling, panting, increased thirst and urination, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed to rid the system of the toxin, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the poison’s absorption. As pets recover, supportive therapies like intravenous fluid administration, oxygen supplementation, and anti-seizure medications might be necessary.

Prevention

Obviously, it’s easier to prevent chocolate poisoning ahead of time, rather than deal with it after it’s affected your pet’s health. This is as easy as restricting your pet’s access to chocolate of all kinds, as well as foods that contain chocolate. Store all sweet treats in closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator where your pet cannot reach them.

To learn more about chocolate toxicity in pets, call your vet clinic Tampa, FL .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *