Dogs, Cats, and Xylitol

Xylitol is a common and dangerous pet poison, and it’s found in many candies, gums, toothpastes, and other household items. This common sweetener is safe for human consumption, but very bad for pets! Learn more here from a vet Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered—seizures and even death. The initial symptoms can manifest in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion by the pet.

Treatment

If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, take them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. The stomach may need to be flushed to rid the stomach of the poison, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption. Supportive therapies like fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and more might be needed as your pet recovers.

Prevention

Prevent xylitol poisoning entirely be restricting your pet’s access to products that contain it. Be aware of the ingredients when purchasing sweets, gum, and toothpaste, and keep any and all potentially hazardous products locked away where pets can’t reach.

Want to know more about xylitol and other pet poisons? Contact your animal hospital Winnipeg, Manitoba today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *