Marijuana and Your Dog

As marijuana continues to become legalized in states across the country, veterinarians have seen an uptick in marijuana ingestion in dogs. The drug isn’t safe for your canine companion! Learn more here from a vet Glendale, AZ.

Do Dogs Get High?

Yes, dogs are affected by marijuana in the same way that we are. The psychoactive ingredient—tetrahydrocannabinol, otherwise known as THC—affects the canine brain just like a human’s. Since dogs are so much smaller, though, small amounts of THC have a greater effect. Also, dogs have no idea what they’re ingesting, so they won’t be prepared for the effects.

What are the Symptoms of Toxicity?

Dogs exposed to THC can experience hypersensitivity to touch and sound, incontinence, and coordination loss. “Edibles” aren’t safe either—these are foods made with marijuana as an ingredient, and they’re likely accompanied by high amounts of fat, butter, or sugar.

What Do I Do If My Dog Ingests Marijuana?

If you know or suspect that your dog has ingested marijuana, take them to the veterinarian’s office. The stomach may need to be flushed or vomiting may need to be induced.

Does your dog need a veterinary checkup? Call your vet clinic Glendale, AZ.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *