Pets and Chocolate

As you likely know, pets and chocolate don’t mix. Below, your Myrtle Beach veterinarian tells you about the symptoms and treatment for poisoning, as well as how to prevent the danger in the first place.

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—coma and even death. All types of chocolate, including dark, semi-sweet, white, powdered, milk, and other varieties, can prove dangerous. This is because all chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, the chemicals that make chocolate poisonous to animals.

Treatment

If you see or suspect that your pet has ingested chocolate, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. Your veterinarian may administer activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption in the gut, or the stomach may be flushed. As your pet recovers, fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures may be necessary.

Preventing Poisoning

Obviously, it’s much easier to prevent chocolate poisoning entirely. This is as simple as restricting your pet’s access to chocolate treats or products containing chocolate. Neve leave harmful substances out on countertops or tables, where pets may be able to gain access.

Want more information on chocolate and how it affects animals? Contact your animal hospital Myrtle Beach.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *