Chocolate and pets don’t mix. In fact, it’s one of the most common and dangerous pet poisons out there! Below, your vet in Aurora, CO tells you about the symptoms of and treatment for chocolate poisoning, and also lets you know how to prevent the problem in the first place.
The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without prompt treatment—collapse, coma, and even death. The offending agents are the chemicals theobromine and caffeine, which are found in all types of chocolate.
Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if they’ve ingested chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Special therapies like IV fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and others might be necessary to help your pet recover fully.
It goes without saying that preventing an episode of chocolate poisoning is far easier than dealing with it later. Fortunately for you, it’s as simple as keeping all chocolates stored safely where your pet can’t reach them! Never leave harmful chocolates out on the countertops or kitchen table.
Want more information on chocolate poisoning? Call your pet clinic Aurora, CO.