Understanding Xylitol Toxicity in Your Pet

Xylitol toxicity is relatively common in pets. Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in many candies, gums, and baked goods, so you may have it in your home without even knowing it! Learn more about xylitol poisoning in this article from a veterinarian Westminster, MD.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can present themselves in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion by your pet. Symptoms include drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if your pet doesn’t receive treatment quickly—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

If you see or suspect that your pet has eaten xylitol, rush them to the emergency room. There, your veterinarian may flush the stomach to get rid of the toxin or administer activated charcoal to slow absorption. As a pet recovers, supportive measures like a fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and more may be necessary.

Prevention Tips

It goes without saying that you’ll want to prevent a case of xylitol poisoning in the first place, rather than deal with it at all. Do so by storing candy, gum, and other sweets inside cabinets or containers where pets can’t reach. Don’t leave goodies out on the table.

Talk to your pet clinic Westminster, MD to learn more about xylitol.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *