Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there! Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in candy, gum, certain baked goods, toothpaste, and other products. Below, your Lansing, MI veterinarian tells you more.
The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can appear in a pet in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion. They include drooling, lethargy, discoordination, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t promptly administered—collapse, seizures, and even death.
Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested something that contains xylitol. The stomach may need to be flushed to rid the system of the toxin, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Supportive measures like fluid replacement and oxygen supplementation might be needed depending on the severity of the episode.
Preventing xylitol poisoning is, of course, much easier than dealing with it after the fact. Tightly restrict your pet’s access to xylitol by placing all candies, gum, and sweet treats in closed cabinets or containers where pets can’t reach.
Want more information on xylitol poisoning? Call your veterinarians Lansing, MI clinic today.