Xylitol: A Common and Dangerous Pet Poison

You may never have heard of xylitol, but it’s probably in a few products in your home right now. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in many candies, gums, and other products like toothpaste, and it’s very bad for pets! Learn more below from a Washington DC vet.

Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can manifest in as little as 30 minutes after initial ingestion by your pet. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered promptly—coma, seizures, and death.

Treating Xylitol Toxicity

Rush your pet to the nearest veterinary emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested xylitol. Your vet may need to flush the stomach or vomiting may be induced. A pet recovering from toxicity by xylitol may need fluid replacement or even blood transfusions in severe cases.

Preventing the Problem

Obviously, it’s best to prevent an episode of xylitol poisoning entirely if at all possible. Do so by tightly restricting your pet’s access to xylitol and foods that contain it. Store them in closed cabinets, containers, or the refrigerator where pets can’t reach.

Contact your animal hospital Washington DC to learn more about pet toxins in your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *