Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sugar commonly found in candies, gum, toothpaste, and other products. Unfortunately, it’s highly toxic for pets! Learn more below from a vet in London, ON.
The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can appear in as little as 30 minutes after a pet ingests it, and they include restlessness, drooling, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if a pet isn’t treated quickly—collapse, seizures, and even death.
A pet who has ingested a product containing xylitol should be rushed to the veterinary emergency room right away. There, activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach, or the stomach may be flushed. Pets recovering from xylitol poisoning may need supportive measures like fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and more.
Clearly, you’ll want to prevent xylitol poisoning before it occurs. That’s as easy as keeping all candies, gums, and other sweet treats off of countertops or tables where pets could get their paws on them! Store these foods inside closed containers or cabinets where animals can’t reach.
Do you want to know more about xylitol and how it affects your pet? Contact your London, ON veterinary clinic today.