Xylitol Poisoning in Pets

Xylitol poisoning is one of the most common and dangerous hazards for our pets. Have you ever heard of xylitol? Learn more below from your vet in Ellicott City, MD.

What is Xylitol?

Xylitol is an artificial sugar substitute found in many candies, gums, and certain baked goods. It’s fine for humans, but very bad for our animal friends. Xylitol is a known toxin and can lead to serious health problems in as little as 30 minutes from the time of ingestion.

What are the Symptoms?

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include weakness, uncoordinated movements, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, seizures, coma, and even death can occur.

Symptoms may have a quicker or slower onset depending on the amount of xylitol ingested and the size of the pet. It doesn’t take much to cause poisoning—only a few sticks of gum or pieces of candy can do it.

What’s the Treatment?

If you see or suspect that your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, rush them to your local veterinary emergency room. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption.

Call your veterinarian Ellicott City, MD for further advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *