Your Pet and Xylitol Toxicity

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sugar substitute that has toxic properties for pets—it’s one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there! Learn more here from your veterinarian Chattanooga, TN.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol can appear in as little as 30 minutes or so after ingestion by a pet. They include drooling, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea, collapse, and—without prompt treatment—seizures and even death.

Treating Poisoning

A pet who has ingested something sweetened with xylitol should be taken to the nearest veterinary emergency room right away. The stomach may be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption. A pet recovering from xylitol poisoning might need fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other support measures to return to full health.

How to Prevent Poisoning

Preventing xylitol poisoning is as easy as restricting your pet’s access to any and all sweet treats. Xylitol is often used in candies, gums, certain baked goods, and toothpaste. Don’t let your pet anywhere near these items, and store them safely in closed containers or cabinets where pets can’t reach.

To learn more about xylitol toxicity and your pet, contact your animal hospital Chattanooga, TN today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *