Your Pet and Xylitol

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s one of the most dangerous pet poisons out there! Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in many candies, gums, and certain baked goods. Learn more about xylitol and its dangers here from an Olathe, KS vet.

Symptoms

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning include lethargy, drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures, coma, and even death. These symptoms usually appear within 30 minutes of initial ingestion, and it only takes a small amount of a xylitol-sweetened product to cause harm.

Treatment

Rush your pet to the closest veterinary emergency room if you suspect they’ve ingested xylitol. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the toxin’s absorption. As your pet recovers, supportive therapies like fluid replacement and oxygen supplementation may be needed.

Prevention Tips

Obviously, it’s far easier to avoid poisoning in the first place, rather than deal with it after the fact. Do this by tightly restricting your pet’s access to any and all xylitol-sweetened products; it’s safest to leave sweet treats inside cabinets or the refrigerator at all times.

Call your Vets Olathe, KS can tell you about more pet toxins—call the office today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *